Tuesday 16 December 2008

George's Marvellous Medicine

After watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a few weeks ago I really felt in the mood for some Roald Dahl. Now, I know I'm nearly 28 years of age, and maybe these would be more suited for someone twenty years my junior, but re-reading George's Marvellous Medicine was a breath of fresh air after reading Stranger in a Strange Land. Perhaps it would not be released today; perhaps it was simply because of the other's publishing record - don't mistake me, the story is short, sweet and great, but the subject matter (young boy decides to mix household products to make 'medicine' for his grandmother, with surprising results) would earn it disapproving looks from parents and teachers everywhere one would suspect.

A great little treat to read; I'm currently reading The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross, but will next be reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

No comments: