Wednesday 30 April 2008

Book-ish

I finished A Clockwork Orange a few days ago, and have now moved on to reading American Psycho. I saw the film several years ago and really liked it, primarily because of Christian Bale's performance. The book is much more intense than the film; I'm about a third of the way through it, and there have been some absolutely horrific things described. I'm enjoying the book, but it's tough going in places.

Patrick Bateman is a psychopath, and it's debatable (given the film's ending and my not knowing the ending of the book) how much of what he describes is actually taking place. The thing that I find really fascinating is this obsession with status that he and the people around him have regarding everything, and at the same time most of these people don't even know each other's names! He is constantly mistaken for other people, just as he and his group of "friends" mistake people they see across a room for other people; in some ways that in and of itself is quite disturbing, that people can do this and be fine with doing it, both in how they talk to people and how people talk to them...

I've done a little research today for the SFX Pulp Idol story; bizarrely for a science fiction short story I was consulting the Wikipedia entry on Jane Austen... Closing date for Pulp Idol is June 3rd, so I'd best get a move on!

More on books soon, have to make a move for home now. Thanks again to people who have commented; I'm going to check out your blogs and reciprocate soon. Hope you're all well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love American Psycho.

To be honest, I wasn't crazy about the film, though. I think it would probably have been better if I had seen the film first and then read the book, but alas

kimz said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my list. :D American Psycho the film was so creepy... I haven't read it or Clockwork Orange... caught only part of that film and was totally lost. :S
Are you posting your Haiku?
Hmmm... not sure which thing on the list I'd look forward to most. Making a video would be pretty cool.

NathanRyder said...

Matt - I'm getting more and more freaked out by American Psycho the book, but have to finish it. It's good, in an incredibly disturbing way...

kimz - I will be posting haiku, just want to get a few together first :)