Tuesday 27 January 2009

Five Little Pigs

Five Little Pigs is the second book by Agatha Christie that I've read, and the first featuring Hercule Poirot. I thought it was quite an intriguing mystery, very different from any that I've read so far, but at the same time featuring many of the tropes that one would expect from a good detective story: reversals and red herrings, unexplained acts that don't fit with the facts and suspects who alternate between trusting and cooperating with the detective one moment to blowing up and accusing him of being a charlatan the next. All good stuff.

I really liked the character of Poirot, and the manner that he conducts himself during his investigation. In seeing a character like Columbo coming years later you can definitely see the impression that Poirot has made on the landscape. The way that the mystery unravels is easily the equal of something by Mickey Spillane (who is my favourite mystery writer), with everything unresolved to the last minute as characters' true motivations come to light. I loved it, and will definitely be reading some more Poirot in the future.

No comments: